Thursday, September 2, 2010

Sebastian Henry is here

After my first post, Sebastian Henry decided to schedule an early arrival.  Although he was due on September 3rd, he came into the world on August 31st at 12:07pm. 

Unfortunately for mommy, labor started some time between 12am and 2am while we were down in Rhode Island... a whooping 2 hours away from the hospital where we were planning to deliver.  At 4am, I got out of bed to realize that labor was definitely in progress.  I woke Matt up and we started packing up all of our stuff (and there was a lot) to head back toward Boston.  We got on the road a little after 5:15 am with Fred in the backseat and Matt's bike strapped to the car.  Everyone had said that first labors take a while so I wasn't planning to go straight to the hospital.  I thought we would get back to Boston, drop Fred off at home and maybe have a few hours at home to labor before heading to the hospital.  At 5:20 am we started timing my contractions and they were already 5 minutes apart (or less!!).  Let's just sum up the car ride by saying this... it was VERY uncomfortable, there was vomiting involved, there were many times when we considered stopping at a closer hospital, we hit horrible traffic at the 95/93 junction but we made it to Mt. Auburn!  I only called Matt a "bastard" once and I was relatively nice about it. 

We got to Mt. Auburn at 7:30am and I was quickly admitting to the L&D floor with my very own view of the Charles River.  The nursing staff and doctors were excellent.  I showed up 8 cm dilated and puked a lot more but everyone was fantastic.  I got my epidural placed after three attempts and was able to relax, entirely pain-free, for the next few hours before pushing out our little guy in 20 minutes!  Dr. Charles Kawada, the chair of Obstetrics delivered Sebastian and was the most adoreable doctor in the world.  He even sat by the window with Matt and enjoyed the skyline while I babbled on in my Fentanyl induced haze.

We are now home, enjoying the bliss of our new baby burrito.  We can't wait to introduce him to everyone!  We may be bias, but he is pretty stinking cute.  See pictures below!

Much love to all,
Look at his big hands!

Sebastian's hearing test... He passed!
First family photo
Arrival at home in the car seat
The Dooley Crew

9 comments:

  1. Love the photos and cannot wait to meet Sebastian in person. I am so happy for all that you are healthy and relaxed as a new family!
    The Grand Poobah and I have planted a pomegranate tree in SHD's honor. May his future be fruitful. Mazel tov, NANA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the blog and looking forward to meeting SHD on sat or sun (and seeing you and matt of course). TANTI AUGUR! xGreat Uncles Lorenzo & Giuseppe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh.... Tante auguri INDEED! I so love these pictures--- once again, you have broken the Boring Baby Picture Barrier, after breaking the Boring Wedding Picture barrier! You guys simply rock. And I still haven't done my "Page of Wisdom" from kevin!
    *ten thousand kisses, I can't wait to see you both.....................................And i SO want to talk to you, Anna! Cause my kid will be having a gorgeous girlie arriving in December!! *MUCH LOVE TO ALL THREE OF YOU*
    Zia Kevin!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And Ok.............................I forgot to mention that Big Seb rocks.

    Totally and completely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea for a blog ... keep it up.
    Mazal Tov to you all .
    Much Love always.
    Dorit

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved looking at these. What a lovely young man. He does look a little like his Sabba Feldman.

    Love having another Virgo in the family!

    enjoy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic! What a handsom dude. (or should I say Doodley) My best to the happy family.

    Cousin Steven

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are smiling hard at the pictures, and sending you hugs! What ever happened to Fred..was he in the car while his brother was coming into this world? Love, Tanta and Taras

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, what a cutie! You both look like natural parents, so relaxed and love struck. Thanks for sharing your blog- I have a soft spot for babies. :)
    Congratulations! Love, Anna (Lotus' sis)

    ReplyDelete